We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Monday, January 16, 2017

Insipid Songs


What is it with church music leaders that they have to dig up every insipid song that makes people feel good?  Ah, but they give a lot of action for the band!

Look at this one I heard for the first time yesterday:

It's All About Jesus
by Henry Seeley

It's all about Jesus
It's all about the way he changed our lives
It's all about Jesus
The power of his blood can't be denied
It's all about Jesus
It's all about the covenant he made
It's all about Jesus
Victorious he rose up from the grave

We lift our hearts to him
He is the reason that we sing
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah,
We praise your name

It's all about Jesus
It's all about the way he set us free
It's all about Jesus
Bearing all our sins at Calvary
It's all about Jesus
It's all about the gift of love he gave
It's all about Jesus
The precious lamb of God was slain

We lift our hearts to him
He is the reason that we sing
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah
We praise your name
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah
We praise your name
We lift our hearts to him
He is the reason that we sing
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah
We praise your name
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah
We praise your name
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah
We praise your name
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah
We praise your name

The lyrics were okay, but a bit trite.  The problem was the ad nauseum repetition.

It was followed by this one:

Nobody Fills My Heart Like Jesus
by Dennis Jernigan

I'd like to say, Lord, from the start
Thank You for breaking through my heart
Thank You for tearing ev'ry chain apart
When I was lost You made a way
You turned the darkest night into day
You are my joy and Lord I'd like to say that

Nobody fills my heart like Jesus
Nobody thrills me like You do
O, nobody fills my heart like Jesus
Nobody, Lord, but You
Nobody but You

When I am weak, my Lord, You're strong
Loving me even when I'm wrong
Lord, You are my salvation and my song
Everyday I'll make the choice
Just listening, following Your voice
Being with You I can't help but rejoice

Nobody fills my heart like Jesus
Nobody thrills me like You do
O, nobody fills my heart like Jesus
Nobody, Lord, but You
Nobody but You

Now, the way we sung it was to sing the first verse, then bring the tempo up with lots of band (especially drum) and start over again.  Then we had to repeat the chorus twice at the end.

This song is something one would expect to find in a VBS or Sunday School class rather than for a worship service.  I find it to be very juvenile, apparently designed to just manufacture emotions and give something for the band to show off with.

Fortunately the other song we used, although modern, was quite good:

When Trials Come
by Keith & Kristyn Getty

“When trials come no longer fear
For in the pain our God draws near
To fire a faith worth more than gold
And there His faithfulness is told 
And there His faithfulness is told

Within the night I know Your peace 
The breath of God brings strength to me 
And new each morning mercy flows
As treasures of the darkness grow 
As treasures of the darkness grow

I turn to Wisdom not my own
For every battle You have known
My confidence will rest in You
Your love endures Your ways are good
Your love endures Your ways are good

When I am weary with the cost
I see the triumph of the cross
So in its shadow I shall run
Till He completes the work begun
Till He completes the work begun

One day all things will be made new
I’ll see the hope You called me to
And in your kingdom paved with gold
I’ll praise your faithfulness of old
I’ll praise your faithfulness of old”


We really need to remember that songs we sing in church are teaching us.  How great it would be if song leaders would always use meat instead of pap.


4 comments:

Joe said...

"... lots of band (especially drum)" I am a lover of drums. Sadly, what passes for drumming today sounds more like rifle shots followed by their reverberation. The drummer becomes the star, instead of the accompaniment. Not appropriate for worship, in my humble, but correct, opinion.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

We have a couple drummers who seem to take turns. One is as you described, while the other seems to have real talent.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

To show how cultic some people get with their love of insipid songs, a comment I will not post said that since I critique songs like these, I am not a Christian and do not know Jesus! Such un-Christian judgmentalism from cowardly anonymous posters is why I moderate comments.

I feel saddened that such people have to attack people who teach discernment; apparently they are not interested in learning.

castiron said...

I like that song, When Trials Come too. When we first sang it in a service, I asked the song leader afterwards if if was a hymn, I thought I had missed an old hymn since I didn't recognize it : )

I used to be nearly paralyzed when trials hit. I thought God was punishing me, oh how little and how weak my faith. (I grew up half the time in a IBLP (Gothard) church and the other half in LDS--taught if I did everything right, I would be blessed). Now I know trials come to draw me closer to Him and they are welcome, because there's nothing I need more than to be close to Him.